When sending an invoice via email, an email address will automatically be suggested. Here, you'll find out more about how this is determined.
When your customer is a contact
When your customer is a contact, this is easy: when sending your invoice by email the email address of the contact is suggested.
If there is no email address available for this contact, you can manually enter an email address yourself.
Note for automatic reminders (available in our Move package or higher):
If there is no email address available and you want to send out automatic reminders, the automatic reminder cannot be sent unless you've sent the invoice manually before. The same email address will be used.
When your customer is a company
When you send an invoice to a company, it can sometimes get tricky since Teamleader Focus checks several levels to retrieve the right email address.
- Invoicing preferences
- Email address of a contact person
- Email address of a company
- Manually sent email
1 Invoicing preferences
With every company, you can set invoicing preferences.
- Therefore you need to go to the company and click on the three dots at the very top and click on “Invoicing preferences”.
- You then get to see the following screen where you have the option to adjust the field “Send invoices to”.
- You can either go for “Automatic”, which means Teamleader Focus will look automatically for an email address
- Or you can choose “Other” and fill in an email address. Note that you can also fill in several email addresses if the customer wants the invoice to be sent to several addresses. Type an enter or use a comma (,) or semicolon (;) to separate the email addresses.
This is the first point Teamleader Focus checks. The address or addresses filled in there will be the automatically suggested ones and will be the ones used for automatic reminders. In case you choose “Automatic”, Teamleader Focus will check the next level.
2 Email address of a contact person
When the invoice is sent automatically (Move-package or higher):
In case you selected a contact person (attn.) when creating your invoice, the invoice will be sent to the email address of this person and to the email address of the company.
When the invoice is sent manually:
In case you selected a contact person (attn.) when creating your invoice: when sending the invoice you can choose between the email addresses of all related contacts of the company (they are ordered alphabetically) or the email address of the company itself.
If you did not define a contact person, Teamleader Focus will check the following level.
3 Email address of company
If there is no contact person filled in and no special invoicing preferences defined, the invoice is automatically sent to:
- The company
- All decision makers (this only happens when auto-sending invoices e.g. subscriptions, not when you manually send invoices)
4 Manually sent email
If there is no email address available for your company and there is no decision maker with an email address defined, the automatic reminder (Move-package or higher) cannot be sent unless you've sent the invoice manually before. The same email address will be used for the automatic reminder.
Receiving a copy
- Under Settings > Invoices > "Preferences" > "Send a copy of all invoice, credit note and reminder emails to myself" > Yes, you also have the option to put yourself in bcc when sending an invoice to always receive a copy of your sent invoices.
- You can also set a specific bcc address for all invoices and credit notes. Here, you can define an email address that is not necessarily linked to one of your Teamleader Focus users (such as your bookkeeper’s email address). Note that only the actual invoices and credit notes (no reminders) will be sent to this address.
- Of course, you can always add email addresses for specific invoices by clicking on cc or bcc when sending an invoice.