By default, Teamleader Focus offers a variety of fields to enter information on every level: contacts, companies, deals, invoices, projects, tasks, etc. Nevertheless this might be insufficient for you. Don’t worry: you can improve Teamleader Focus using custom fields. These are available in multiple types, to be used in different parts of Teamleader Focus. We’ll show you a few examples later on.
Adding a custom field
- Navigate to “Settings” and click on “Custom Fields”
- Click on the “+” symbol next to “Custom fields”
- Name your custom field. Make sure it’s recognizable and easily interpretabele.
- Using ‘For’ we define to which part of Teamleader Focus the custom field belongs. This is also where you’ll find it later. If you create a custom field on contact level for example, you won't find this field on company level and vice versa.
- There are multiple types of custom fields. Some of them have special properties such as email address and URL: Teamleader Focus will recognize these fields for what they are and will interpret the value as an email address or a hyperlink. Some types are only applicable to certain aspects within Teamleader Focus. For example, you won’t be able to add a custom field of multiline text to a task, because you already have enough room to save all of the information needed.
Note: The type of a custom field is essential, and cannot be changed once it has been chosen. Therefore, it is wise to really think thoroughly about what you want to achieve with a custom field. Also, the type will influence the segmentation options that you'll have.
- Click on “Save”
By clicking “Advanced options” you get three extra options to choose from.
- If you have a lot of custom fields of one type, grouping them isn’t an unnecessary luxury. That’s why you can create different groups for custom fields. Select a group from the drop down menu or create a new one by clicking “other”. For example, if you have a lot of fields to enter more marketing information about a deal, create a group ‘Marketing information’ and assign those custom fields to it. They’ll be grouped like this:
- Click on the slider to make a certain custom field obligatory.
- Looking for a contact or company that has information in a custom field? Make it searchable and you’ll easily find it by using our search options. Please note that there is a limit of three searchable custom fields. But you can always create a segment on them to have an overview.
Note: Using a large number of custom fields can become cluttered and unclear. That’s why we limit the number of custom fields to 50 for contacts, companies, deals and projects, and to 25 for other types.
If you want to know how to add your custom fields to your templates, please read this article.